Toshiba AC100

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Toshiba AC100

Postby Nolhian » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Hello,

I'm interested by the Toshiba AC100, looks like a wonderful smartbook. I'm willing to take it but don't want the android OS. It seems that Ubuntu is available but I would definitely prefer Arch ;)

Has anyone tried to install Arch on this ? Any feedback would be much appreciated !
Nolhian

Re: Toshiba AC100

Postby macau » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:39 pm

http://ac100.grandou.net/ actual wiki. just unpack base rootfs on internal storage or usb\sdcard and reflash kernel
more actual information via #ac100
macau

Postby Nolhian » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 pm

What does #ac100 actually mean ?
Nolhian

Postby pepedog » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:08 pm

pepedog
Developer

Postby Nolhian » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:53 am

oh okay thanks :)
Nolhian

Postby macau » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:42 am

Short manual for installing archlinux on the ac100:
1. go to http://ac100.grandou.net/installing_linux and read it. read it carefully! you need nvflash or ac100-toolkit, u can find it in wiki.
2. format your sd/usb/internal to ext3/4
3. unpack http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-tegra-latest.tar.gz to your new partition
4. unpack http://avolver.ru/ac100/kernels/38.ogra-1.1/modules-ogra-2.6.38-1.1.tar.gz in to your rootfs partition(check path for modules- /lib/modules/2.6.38-blahbalah)
5. change rootfs mount point in your fstab (/dev/sdx for usb stick, /dev/mmcblk1px for sdcard and /dev/mmcblk0p7 for internal storage)
6. download property kernel from http://avolver.ru/ac100/kernels/ (be sure that your kernel modules have same build number and date with your kernel)
7. start your ac100 in recovery mode with ctrl+esc+power (screen must be off, only power and wifi indicators must be on (not sure about wifi))
8. load bootloader: nvflash --bl where_u_put_your_fastboot.bin --sync
9. flash kernel in to your ac100: nvflash -r –download 6 your_kernel.img
10. restart your ac100
11. ?????
12. PROFIT!!!!

UPD:Preinstalled Archlinux aviable:
It is include: kde4 workspace, lxde workspace, openbox, firefox8, chromium17, psi+, xchat, libreoffice3.4 koffice2.2, xbmc with hw accseleration, nvidia blob alpha(egl support), networkmanager, java7, a lot of games, full development env.
how to use:
-extract archive to usb-stick/sd-mmc-card/external hdd/internal storage (ext4-fs preferred) your home dir will be mounted in to mmcbl0p6 partition(1G)
-if u want swap ucan format mmcblk0p4 into swapfs after boot
-flash property kernel from here with nvflash
-?????
-PROFIT!!!
for login use
user:user
root:password1
Last edited by macau on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
macau

Postby kmihelich » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 pm

This method using the -tegra-latest.tar.gz shouldn't really be used. That tarball is based on the now non-existent soft-float armv7 port. All development is now done on the hard-float variant, armv7h, which is packed only in the omap-smp tarball.

Once kernel 3.1 comes out of testing and is shown good, there will be a new tegra package with an all-inclusive kernel supporting all mainlined tegra devices. The AC100 isn't a specifically listed platform, so if you have 3.1 compatible code that can be patched, now would be a great time to let me know.

After 3.1, I don't intend to play any more with 2.6 kernels. You will still be able to extract in an AC100 kernel if needed, but it won't be something that's supported through us directly. I'd suggest you do some tests using the omap-smp tarball, extract your kernel, and see if that works for you. Xorg drivers for graphics are included in the nvidia-trimslice package, which again is only accessible in the armv7h repo, which you need the omap-smp base to utilize.

If you can update the guide you have there for the omap-smp tarball (for the time being), and possible expand each step documentation to be as clear and concise as possible, I'll add it onto the main site since everything should run as well on the AC100 as it does on the TrimSlice.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby macau » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:26 am

ac100 dont use 3.1 kernel, it based on 2.6.38,but! i use armv7h repo, just start in to tergra-rootfs, change armv7 to armv7h in pacman.conf and make all packages reinstall by pacman -Syf `pacman -Qq`. now it work sexy. more faster and smooth then ubuntu :twisted: now i can say that armv7h stable in my ac100
macau

Postby pibach2 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi macau,

I am currently running Ubuntu Maverick based on phh 2.6.32 kernel on my AC100 and considering switching to Arch. Ubuntu is running fine, exept :

* using a lot of memory
* generating some network traffic I cannot assign to a service
* sometime blocking everything, I suppose this is because of the eMMC and maybe cleanerd or mmcqd related
* sound only external
* WLAN does not resume after suspend

Are these issues fixed in your Arch install?
pibach2

Postby macau » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:54 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('pibach2', 'H')i macau,

I am currently running Ubuntu Maverick based on phh 2.6.32 kernel on my AC100 and considering switching to Arch. Ubuntu is running fine, exept :

* using a lot of memory
* generating some network traffic I cannot assign to a service
* sometime blocking everything, I suppose this is because of the eMMC and maybe cleanerd or mmcqd related
* sound only external
* WLAN does not resume after suspend

Are these issues fixed in your Arch install?

phh build based on closed nvidia stuff and (mix with ubuntu+android+clutches). marvin's kernel now more and more stable and smooth day by day. suspend and sound now work(only hedphones now, speakers in test). wifi and 3g excellent now.
and arch precompiled with cortex-a9 hard optimizations instead armel ubuntu. it use more less memory and cpu.
but now i'm went in ubuntu, bks current archarm community wery small, mantainers dont wont add new packages and dot want updates for pkgbuilds :( (lol i want kde 4.7 :D )
macau

Next

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices