Anyone successfully used Clonezilla for their plug?

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Anyone successfully used Clonezilla for their plug?

Postby huntrm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm trying to clone my 64GB ext3 install of Archlinux (master boot record and all) to a 500GB external harddrive. It's not working needless to say.

I'm using Clonezilla, which I was told it should be able to successfully clone the install.

Here are my steps:
- Successfully booting Clonezilla from another USB stick on my main computer (it's loading properly, no issues)
- Choose Device-Device (work directly from a disk to a disk (or a partition to partition)
- Expert Mode
- I've tried:
- Disk to local disk clone
- Local partition to local partition clone

I've tried few options in expert mode - and am not being able to get everything working 100% to where I can simply replace the USB stick in the pogo with the harddrive. Everything is connected, and the pogo just won't boot up off of the harddrive (the light is not lit up).

I went back and booted with the usb stick, and all is fine (thank God!).

Ideas/suggestions? Need to get a solid backup/clone process working. Thanks.
huntrm

Re: Anyone successfully used Clonezilla for their plug?

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Okay, so your are using CloneZilla with both devices attached to your PC.

Why not just do a dd from device A to device B if you already have them "offline" as it is?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby huntrm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44 pm

DD didn't work for me either. I sure as hell tried!

From the archlinux wiki, did following to my Ubuntu install with the pogo usb stick:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=pogoback.img bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror')

I then tried to restore the .img to the 500gb harddrive using following command:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo dd if=pogoback.img of=/dev/sdc')

It didn't work so thinking I was doing something wrong, I resorted to trying something more intuitive.... :lol:

Also, Clonezilla runs in the course of 8-10 minute for the 3GB backup (depending on the option you choose). On a 64GB pogo usb stick, seems like it took 4+ hours to work!
huntrm

Postby grayman4hire » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:05 pm

I recently asked about cloning my Arch setup and WarHeadsSE recommended a offline tarball. I haven't actually tried it yet, but it seems like a viable alternative.

Quick question to help with troubleshooting, are you at least able to boot off the hard drive with a fresh Arch Linux install?
grayman4hire

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:21 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('huntrm', 'D')D didn't work for me either. I sure as hell tried!

From the archlinux wiki, did following to my Ubuntu install with the pogo usb stick:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=pogoback.img bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror')

I then tried to restore the .img to the 500gb harddrive using following command:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo dd if=pogoback.img of=/dev/sdc')

It didn't work so thinking I was doing something wrong, I resorted to trying something more intuitive.... :lol:

Also, Clonezilla runs in the course of 8-10 minute for the 3GB backup (depending on the option you choose). On a 64GB pogo usb stick, seems like it took 4+ hours to work!

Well yeah, you dd'd in at a 4K block, and out at a 512 block! bs=1M, is a LOT faster. grayman4hire has a point.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby huntrm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Well you car tarball it after it's an image, or tarball the .img while it's being extracted.

As far as installing archlinux on the harddrive.. No, haven't done that. Are you making an possible case that the harddrive may have an issue with the pogoplug?
huntrm

Postby huntrm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')
Well yeah, you dd'd in at a 4K block, and out at a 512 block! bs=1M, is a LOT faster. grayman4hire has a point.

Ahhhhh... Okay. So let me try dd again.

Why did I think the restore would not require this param.....???

To your point on the 1M, the Archlinux wiki recommended the 4K block, hence my use. Will I see any difference/issue in the cloning by using the 1M? Also, does this affect any cloning of the MBR?
huntrm

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Honestly, if the logical & physical geometry doesn't match, DD in the end won't work no matter what, because the sector/cylinder marks will be off.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby huntrm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Hey guys, am back. I tried following on my Ubuntu machine:

With the working 64GB usb stick:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=pogobak.img bs=1M conv=notrunc,noerror')
Unplugged the stick, plugged in the 500GB harddrive (verified it to be at /dev/sdb):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo dd if=pogobak.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M conv=notrunc,noerror')
Neither the stick or the harddrive were mounted.

I plugged in the drive into the pogo, and nada..

So, I decided to try to see if a fresh install of Arch would work on the 500GB drive. I followed this thread, except I did not do step 3 as a bootloader is already installed on the plug. Oh, and I did ext3 for the archlinux install to match the bootloader which is looking for ext3.

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... 2-pinkgray

I rebooted the plug per these instructions, and nothing from this drive....

So, it could be the drive (which is odd as it's been working just fine with other PCs)...

Am I missing something either between the bootloader and archlinux on the attached storage? Is there something I need to do in order for the plug to accept the new drive versus using the legacy 64GB stick (e.g., reinstall uboot)?

Is there something going on where it likes the USB stick versus the external drive?

Thanks.
huntrm

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Essentially all you need is the following, run as root (or sudo su):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
mke2fs -j -L "rootfs" /dev/sdb1
mkdir /tmp/pogomnt
mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/pogomnt
tar xzf /path/to/rootfs.tar.gz -C /tmp/pogopmnt
sync
umount /dev/sdb1
')

This should give you a clean mountable system. Might need to be ext2 instead of ext3, but I am not certain of your bootloader.

If that doesn't work, then your hdd isn't spinning up fast enough for uboot to see it.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood