Swap needed for SABNZBD? If so what size and where?

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Swap needed for SABNZBD? If so what size and where?

Postby yazyazoo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 pm

I am planning to get Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and Couchpotato on the Pogo. I am going to be using it for files that are 4-8gb large. I was reading a swap file is really needed. Is it needed?

I have Arch installed on a 8GB USB stick. I have a 1.5TB drive attached to the Pogo also. Is it better to install on the USB stick or external HD? If so how large of a swap file should be neeeded?

Some people advise not on the USB stick because they have a limited life for writes. Do you guys agree?
yazyazoo

Re: Swap needed for SABNZBD? If so what size and where?

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:40 pm

The maintainers of the distribution constant remind people that swap on a flash device of ANY kind is a bad idea. I'd say that they have a fair amount of experience, and aren't just spouting from their asses.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby yazyazoo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:40 am

Thanks for the reply and I will put Swap on the USB external hard drive.

I would like to keep my movies in NTFS format on my external drive. Do you know if the swap file needs to be in a linux format ext2 or ext3? If it does do you think if I just partition a space for the swap on the external hard drive I would be able to keep two different formats on one drive (microsoft and linux format)?

Thanks.
yazyazoo

Postby moonman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 am

You can make a swap file on an NTFS partition but it is NOT advised at all.
Make a swap partition, it will work.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby vlad59 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Or use nzbget and you don't need swap at all
vlad59

Postby yazyazoo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Does NZBget work with Sickbeard and CouchPotato? I used to use NZB get on my Popcorn Hour but switched because the Sabnzbd combo was automated.
yazyazoo

Postby yeehaa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:22 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('yazyazoo', 'D')oes NZBget work with Sickbeard and CouchPotato? I used to use NZB get on my Popcorn Hour but switched because the Sabnzbd combo was automated.

Yes it does.. Search for Clinton's postprocessing repo.. Takes a little bit more time to setup if you are used to sab.. I think because there is a lil bit of unlearning :P
yeehaa

Postby vlad59 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:54 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('yeehaa', '
')Yes it does.. Search for Clinton's postprocessing repo.. Takes a little bit more time to setup if you are used to sab.. I think because there is a lil bit of unlearning :P

Yeah it's a little bit harder to setup but there's no going back with low ram devices !
vlad59

Postby yeehaa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('vlad59', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('yeehaa', '
')Yes it does.. Search for Clinton's postprocessing repo.. Takes a little bit more time to setup if you are used to sab.. I think because there is a lil bit of unlearning :P

Yeah it's a little bit harder to setup but there's no going back with low ram devices !

Yep..in the latest version you have the choice of crypto you can use..so everyone can test out openssl or gnutls speeds on their devices and pick accordingly..follow the 'kernel oops' thread where moonman is posting the newer versions..
yeehaa

Return to Marvell Kirkwood